Thursday, September 13, 2007

Leave Me To Myself (Luke 5:4-11)

Leave me to myself from Luke 5:4-11

4 When he finished teaching, he said to Simon, "Push out into deep water and let your nets out for a catch." 5-7Simon said, "Master, we've been fishing hard all night and haven't caught even a minnow. But if you say so, I'll let out the nets." It was no sooner said than done—a huge haul of fish, straining the nets past capacity. They waved to their partners in the other boat to come help them. They filled both boats, nearly swamping them with the catch 8-10Simon Peter, when he saw it, fell to his knees before Jesus. "Master, leave. I'm a sinner and can't handle this holiness. Leave me to myself." When they pulled in that catch of fish, awe overwhelmed Simon and everyone with him. It was the same with James and John, Zebedee's sons, coworkers with Simon.10-11Jesus said to Simon, "There is nothing to fear. From now on you'll be fishing for men and women." They pulled their boats up on the beach, left them, nets and all, and followed him. (Luke 5 The Message)

Lord,
It is much easier
to be left alone
than it is
to follow You…

It is much easier
to wash nets…
to even celebrate a
tough, fruitless day…
to do nothing…
than it is
to go with You.

It is much easier
to declare You
to be too Holy
for us to associate
with…than
it is to go with You.

Fear beats loudly
in our hearts…
in our ears
when we hear You
call out to us…

What will people think?
What will happen next?
What can we do…
we’re just losers
who didn’t make the cut…

We say,
“I am incapable.”
“I won’t know what to do.”
“What if…?”

All these questions fill the air…
and more…
Your answer
Is…always the same…
“Don’t be afraid.”
“I will teach you...”
“We will catch people.”
“Together.”

1 comment:

Sarah Markley said...

I agree. Sometmes it is "scary" to be faced with the holiness of almighty God...to be that close to it makes me feel unworthy often. But isn't it amazing that almighty God calls us "friend" and walks the scary roads with us.